Saturday, November 29, 2008
Home Alone

The paranoia was becoming unbearable. Ignoring it wasn’t an option anymore. Feeling it while home alone at night was normal. But this wasn’t normal. The feeling of being watched was heavy in my body and mind.

I turned away from the computer screen and looked around me. Nothing. Just my room. What was I expecting? It was silly of me to think anyone was watching me, let alone in my room. I tried to focus my eyes in on the computer, but couldn’t. The paranoia was too strong. My eyes searched frantically around my room until it hit the window. A shape resembling a face was right outside my window. I froze, focusing my eyes in on the shape in case my eyes were deceiving me. A cold shiver shot through my back as I came to realize that the shape was indeed a face. I could have sworn it was staring back at me, though it was much too dark for me to be sure.

I was paralyzed, physically unable to move. My eyes were intent on the face, looking for any signs of movement. Before I realized it, the face was gone. I remained completely and utterly still with my heart beating at hazardous speeds. Thankfully, something clicked in my head. Danger. I was in definite danger.
Adrenaline coursed through my body, giving me the strength to rise from my seat. As I turned toward my door, things slowed down. My feet felt as if they were in slow motion as they took the few short steps toward the door.

The speed of things returned when my window shattered and debris of glass hit me from behind. I didn’t turn to look. Instinct had taken over my body. I ran out of my room and down the hallway. I could hear heavy footsteps walking over the glass that had spilled onto the floor. It only quickened my run to a sprint.
I headed towards my closest exit. The front door. I threw it open as the heavy footsteps came down the hallway. With no hesitation, I ran out the door, only to be blinded by a searing light. I took a startled breath and sat up. Where am I? Please God, don’t let me be dead.

I looked around as the searing light began to dim and my room came in its place.
My room. My bed. The sun coming in through the window.
Realization swept through me as my mother came into view with concerned eyes. “Wake up, sweetie. It’s time for school.”
I had never been so happy to go to school.


(I was already in the mind set when I wrote this. I was home alone at night and freaking out. Well, Riley was home, but he had his head set on so he wouldn't of been able to hear my screams... I know, I am a huge baby.)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your writing and talent brings tears to my eyes, each time you post Tayler. Another riveting short story that grips you, pulls you in and engages your reader in just a few short, effective sentences. BRAVO! ~my talented Tayler!

Love you always,

Mom ( 3T )

December 15, 2008 1:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home